Cracks in stone and mortal at window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we bought a house a year ago or so but have just noticed cracked stones and mortar vertically by the window. The stones (which I assume are a reconstituted material) are cracked through. Basically its at the right of the lintel downwards.

This is a side extension built a couple of years prior to us purchasing it. Can you guys have a quick look at the photos attached please.

IMG_20220401_121855.jpg
IMG_20220401_121839.jpg
IMG_20220401_121829.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you Woody. Any comment on what you can see in them relating to the cracked stones and mortar? Thank you.

It'll fall down in a month judging by the size of that crack ....... - that's not even a hairline crack. You're worrying about nothing

Sponsored Links
OK I guess I assumed cracked blocks would be an issue. The plasterboard internally is cracked in the same place also.

Shrinkage most likely

The wall has slightly contracted causing the crack and you can see how it's pulled the mastic too.

Make good the mastic. For the mortar, repointing the mortar may be too obtrusive so perhaps use a clear mastic.

Plaster repair may need some mesh across the crack, as re cracking is possible.

Should be nothing to worry about, but have a look after the first spring heatwave, and again end of summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back