Cracking in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm in the process of buying a 1920"s detached house and had a Level 3 RICS survey which picked up on cracks in the brickwork. The property is made from reconstituted stone, which is very weather worn and several of the blocks have split as well as the mortar in a diagonal and vertical pattern.

A structural engineers report highlighted roughly half (modern) foundation depth on a clay soil next to a moisture sapping beech hedge and diagnosed subsidence. However, several other RICS and mortgage surveyors plus an experienced builder have said nonsense, the cracks are caused by removal of structural windows at some point in the past.The property is fitted with large, concrete lintels.

My question is, is it possible for cracks to appear in a wall due to structural window replacement even if there are lintels present?

The crack in the second picture stops St an air brick and doesn't go through the damp proof course.

I'm totally confused and would appreciate any opinions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-081144_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112-081144_Drive.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230112-081127_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112-081127_Drive.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back