Cracks above landing window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , purchased a , 3 bed semi house (built in 1962) which has been flagged up on the RICS level 3 survey with a possibility of no lintels on Windows.
RICS survey also mentioned that " no evidence of significant structural movement was noted to the main building and there is nothing to suggest that foundation are defective or inadequate''

Had a quote from a double glazing company and one of the guys also a builder by trade made some comments which worried me as when assessing the windows , the landing window at the side of the property has a ladder crack going from the top right corner of the window to the end top bricks, very difficult to see on the pictures attached, also partially repointing marks on parts of the wall.

Could this be purely due to having no lintel on, or something worst than that .

Been in touch with a different builder ( not phisically assed just from photos ) and he advised that having the lintel installed windows fitted and touch up the bricks with mortar, use helibars if the cracks reaper in time .

Structural survey also crossed my mind.

Main reason I have took on a 600 pounds RICS survey was to eliminate the possible major issues like movement subsiding etc

What are my options now , could I contact the surveyor for extra details or is it too late ... anyway their liability is next to none as I have read...

Starting to loose sleep and overstress due to the situation...one of my nightmares

IMG_20221116_162401.jpg
img_20221116_162401-jpg.285957

IMG_20221116_162313.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can see the line of the crack and that it's been repointed in the past. And your surveyor would have and should have seen it too.

It does not appear to be a major thing, and is very common in that location.

Yes it may be lintel related or just some common movement of the gable for one of several possible causes, but foundation moment is the least likely.

Have a lintel fitted externally if you like, it's probably not urgent or essential at the moment. And again, options are to point up the crack or for piece of mind fit crack reinforcement bars - but that's not essential.

A survey by a structural engineer may well tell you similar and if you do want piece of mind, rely on a SE not a builder. The SE should be the one to diagnose the problem and recommend the appropriate repair.

Thank you for the advice, just wondering for a level 3 survey should have this been flagged up , or is something they do not include in the survey.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back