Repointing Random Stone House Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2014 we had a kitchen extension built onto our 1998 stone built house. This involved removing the outside kitchen wall and installing a huge steel beam to support the upstairs walls. At the time there was quite a lot of cracking of the mortar in the upstairs walls as a result of the girder being installed and the builder did some repointing. Over the years, more settlement has occurred resulting in more cracks in the mortar and I would like to resolve these myself by re-pointing.

This isn't something I've done before and would really appreciate some advice.

The cracks are quite fine in most places and I assume I will need to remove the existing mortar to create a gap large enough to accept the new mortar.

The stone seems very hard, it's always a hard job drilling into it, so I'm assuming I can use a sand/cement mortar mix, possibly with some SBR added?

As you can see from the following photo of the extension, the walls are built from random stone.

Access to the upstairs walls will be via the extension roof.

If it stops raining, I will try to get some close up photos of the cracked mortar to give an indication of the scale.

Sponsored Links
If built in 1998 then it's probably coloured cement mortar. A traditional solid wall stone house you'd have to use lime mortar.

Still use a fairly weak mix and do some trials to see what the colour is like.

Yes you need to rake out to a depth of 2x the bed joint height, or to 25mm, whichever is greater. On a random stone pattern like this you are safer to use a plug chisel - an angle grinder or similar will just end up damaging the stonework.

Brush it out, wet down and repoint. A pointing trowel is a neat way. Or a mortar gun.

Strike the pointing, or finish however the rest has been done then curse at all the mortar you've smeared over the stones.

Thanks for the useful info George, it is much appreciated.

As promised I've now been out on the extension roof and taken some photos. As you can see, they are very fine cracks, but I guess once water/frost gets in there it will start to break up even more. You can see that in the past, a roofer used some builders sealant in places to fill some of the cracks, while "fixing" a leak on the new extension roof. I did wonder if I should do the same, given it is a lot more work to remove the existing mortar and repoint, but the sealant does look rather unsightly, although this is only an issue when close up as it can't be seen from the ground floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back