Hairline cracks in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had a wall skimmed, and then wall mounted my TV to it. As the weather has got colder the plaster has started cracking. The wall is mainly solid block, although there is a small area of plasterboard where a door used to be. The TV is mounted to studs in the plasterboard and also directly in to the solid wall.

What concerns me is that the other side of the wall also has cracks but these are much longer. From floor to ceiling and for the entire width. Is this natural when more load has been added to the wall, or should I be taking the telly off the wall quick!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm positive the weight of a slim, modern wall mounted tv wouldn't cause cracking to a solid wall or even a stud wall. Have a tap around/along the cracks on both sides of the wall to see if the plaster sounds hollow. As far the larger vertical cracks are concerned i'd get some advice/opinions from a local builder/plasterer who would look at them in real time,,, but i would "definitely not" blame the weight of the telly.

Many thanks.

Yes the cracks sound hollow behind. I can understand the new plaster cracking but for the untouched plaster on the other side of the wall it seems a little coincidental.

Is it understandable for a bit of movement with the new weight to the wall? Does the weather have anything to do with it?

Different materials have different expansion characteristics and will crack forever and a day.

Agreed with Joe, it'll be where the plasterboard meets the block thats cracked I would guess.

That appears quite possible with the vertical cracks, although they aren't straight lines. The cracking starts and finishes roughly where the old door would have been.

This doesn't explain the horizontal cracks though!

As the weather has got colder the plaster has started cracking. The wall is mainly solid block, although there is a small area of plasterboard where a door used to be. The TV is mounted to studs in the plasterboard and also directly in to the solid wall.

I'd agree with the comments seen so far.

I'm thinking there is a chimney behind the solid wall - I can see a stove pipe in one of your pics - how much use of your stove are you getting?
You point out the cracking has got worse since the weather got colder - has the fire been on more as well?

Though I'm a bit confused where the plasterboard over previous door fits in - these cracks seem around the fireplace

It is a completely "fake" fireplace, and is on an internal wall between the lounge and the hallway. It is just a mantle piece, with no chimney at all.

The "stove" is an electric fire, and has been on a fair amount. Not as much as the central heating, but still used almost daily for a couple of hours.

The old doorway ends behind the tv towards the left, however the cracks are appearing to the right of this. However on the reverse side of the wall, there are some vertical cracks which are roughly in the region of the old door.

It is a completely "fake" fireplace, and is on an internal wall between the lounge and the hallway. It is just a mantle piece, with no chimney at all.

The "stove" is an electric fire, and has been on a fair amount. Not as much as the central heating, but still used almost daily for a couple of hours.

The old doorway ends behind the tv towards the left, however the cracks are appearing to the right of this. However on the reverse side of the wall, there are some vertical cracks which are roughly in the region of the old door.

Thanks for the extra info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back