hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have noticed hairline cracks around the wooden supports in my newly built and plastered kitchen vaulted ceiling, i take it this is the roof settling now its all finished, around the velux windows its fine, should i wait a while to check movement and then paint over the cracks at a later date?
thx for any advice

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a couple of pictures? If the cracks are where the new plaster meets the wood, not a problem at all.

this is the worst one, the rest are tiny and closer to the wood than this, i dont think there is a problem but i asked just to be sure, btw the gaffer tape is my masking tape for painting! lol
was to hand at the time :D

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, when the plasterboard was cut to fit around that particular support, there was a bit of a gap, and when it was filled/plastered over, it cracked. It didn't happen on the others, probably because the plasterboard was cut neater/closer to the support. It's certainly not a problem at all, and the best way to eradicate it would be to put a small piece of mesh tape over the crack, then use a small amount of ready mix or Easifill just to cover over the mesh tape, you might need to go over it twice. When it's dried out, sand
it down, then paint.

Edit: Once you've cut your small length of mesh tape, cut in "half vertically", because you wont need it to be too wide, plus it'll be less to feather in/ sand down..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back