How to repair hairline crack in internal corner interior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently redecorated a bedroom. Before redecorating I noticed a hairline crack in the corner of the wall on an internal corner. This crack run mor or less from floor to ceiling. I prepared and filled the crack with flexible pollyfilla and sanded and painted and the crack was no more.

Fast forward 2 weeks and the crack is back. Any ideas how I could do a more permanent repair on this?

The house is a mid terraced house and up around 50 years so they're not settling cracks and it's a visual annoyance and I'm not concerned that the house will fall down anytime soon.

All thoughts and fedback appreciated

Sponsored Links
are both the walls brick?

has the downstairs been "knocked through?"

are both the walls standing exactly above downstairs brick walls?

have you got a teenage daughter who likes slamming doors?

are both the walls brick?
Both walls are brick. One is the front facing wall and the other is the dividing wall between us and next door

has the downstairs been "knocked through?"
No knocking through

are both the walls standing exactly above downstairs brick walls?
they are

have you got a teenage daughter who likes slamming doors?
No teenage daughter just a wife who can be a bit rough sometimes

I would reinforce corner with self adhesive joint tape, then apply joint compound (easifill) sand reapply and sand till smooth, then see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Flexible Polyfilla is no use at all for that kind of job. As PB of Derry said, you could tape it in and sand it down which would be a stronger job, but if it was me, i'd cut away 4 or 5 inches of plaster from each wall, (right down the corner,; top to bottom), then i'd cut a 6" strip of wire lath and tie in the corner with that. You would then re-plaster the areas you removed then you're ready for decoration. It's a long winded way to do it, but it'll work.

Flexible Polyfilla is no use at all for that kind of job. As PB of Derry said, you could tape it in and sand it down which would be a stronger job, but if it was me, i'd cut away 4 or 5 inches of plaster from each wall, (right down the corner,; top to bottom), then i'd cut a 6" strip of wire lath and tie in the corner with that. You would then re-plaster the areas you removed then you're ready for decoration. It's a long winded way to do it, but it'll work.

I agree that it would be a long winded way but it would be a better job long term. the walls are all painted up and it would be hard to bring myself to do it now. It would be beyond my capability to do anyhow but my father could do its he was a brickie and plasterer time served before he got out of the building game. I'll see what he thinks when he gets back from his holidays.

I spoke to my father today and he's agreed to do the job when he come back from holiday. He wants me to do the prep work by chipping back the pasterto the bare block work and securing the angle bead to the block work. He'll then plaster it all in for me. Couple of coats of paint and you should hopefully never know it was ever done. :D

One question I forgot to ask was what is the best way to secure angle bead to the block work? I was going to use zinc screws and raw plugs?

I'm glad your Dad can help you out. Be careful when you start hacking off plaster, it can sometimes loosen the rest. Whenever i take off any areas of plaster, i'll make a cut with a stanley knife first, and then take the plaster off. That way, the plaster wont spread beyond the cut. I notices you said about fitting a corner bead into the internal corner. I wouldn't do that. What you need is a 6" strip of galvanised wire lath/mesh (EML),,or similar, your dad will know what that is. To answer you question on fixing it to the brickwork,, small galvanised nails would be the best bet. Try and hammer them into the joins in the bricks. You wont need that many,, half a dozen or so down each side. Make sure the nails are galvanised though, ordinary nails will rust through the plaster.r

Be careful when you start hacking off plaster, it can sometimes loosen the rest. Whenever i take off any areas of plaster, i'll make a cut with a stanley knife first, and then take the plaster off. That way, the plaster wont spread beyond the cut.

Thanks for that tip. It could save a lot of grief for me :)

I notices you said about fitting a corner bead into the internal corner. I wouldn't do that. What you need is a 6" strip of galvanised wire lath/mesh (EML),,or similar, your dad will know what that is. To answer you question on fixing it to the brickwork,, small galvanised nails would be the best bet. Try and hammer them into the joins in the bricks. You wont need that many,, half a dozen or so down each side. Make sure the nails are galvanised though, ordinary nails will rust through the plaster.r

Thanks for that info as well. I got 30mm masonry wheels with washered heads.

It's only a hairline crack - just stuff paint in it. FFS. :rolleyes:

Oh Joe,, how would you like it if someone filled your crack up with paint. Do the job properly i say,,,, rebuild the house. :D

I agree with roughcaster on this one joe, your man has filled the crack and painted it like you say and its come back so rc's way is the way to go.... ;)

There's no guarantee that you won't get two hairline cracks either side of the repair. Personally I wouldn't bother with all that hassle. Once the shrinkage has stopped the crack will stay filled.

An alternative option is to open up the crack a little, so it is 2-3mm wide. Run a grout removal tool up and down. Then "inject" the crack with an none solvent flexible gap filling building adhesive (No more Nails interior is my preferred choice) and smooth any excess off. Leave to dry and paint.

Less mess, less hassle and in my experience will stop the crack coming back just as well as the galvanized mess option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back