Repairing Ceiling Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks

Apologies if this subject has been covered before , I did have a look , but couldn't find too much info .

A couple of years ago I repaired some cracks in my plasterboard ceiling . I think when the house was built some 40 years ago , the plasterboard edges weren't lined up with the joists , resulting in hairline cracks appearing .

After watching a couple of videos , I taped over the cracks with mesh tape , and then skimmed over and repainted . The good news is - the cracks didn't come back , but the bad news is that the finish is quite poor . It doesn't look too bad in the daytime , but get a light shining on it , and it stands out a mile .

Can anyone advise someone with zero plastering talent how to get a finish that will pass the better half`s scrutiny without the need to "get a man in "

Sponsored Links
A bag of easi-fill from B+Q and some sandpaper, depending how bad it is and how keen your wifes eye is a couple of coats and a sand should do it.

I use a tub of premix Plastering Joint Cement, which is quick, clean and handy for small jobs as you don't need to keep mixing small amounts. You can scrape it flat with a broad metal scraper. If you do it before set dry, it is not dusty like sanding.

Costs more, though.

I use the Gyproc one with the yellow lid, can't remember why it was recommended, there are several varieties.

A bag of easi-fill from B+Q and some sandpaper, depending how bad it is and how keen your wifes eye is a couple of coats and a sand should do it.

I`d say , its not too bad , but my wifes eye is VERY keen . :) .

Thanks for that , though . I`ll give it a try !

Sponsored Links
I use the Gyproc one with the yellow lid, can't remember why it was recommended, there are several varieties.
If its the same as this, its marvelous stuff.
IMG_20200629_155438461.jpg

any filling and sanding will look poor under false light so you’ll be wasting your time.
plus sanding overhead is a mugs game.
how big is the ceiling ?
why not just prepare it yourself and get a plasterer to skim it.

any filling and sanding will look poor under false light so you’ll be wasting your time.
plus sanding overhead is a mugs game.
how big is the ceiling ?
why not just prepare it yourself and get a plasterer to skim it.

I dont want to get anyone in - the rooms finished and I`m a tight get .

Anyway , I`m playing the long game - the wifes eyesight aint what it used to be , its just a matter of time !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back