boarding up an internal doorway without getting cracks later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to plasterboard out the old lounge doorway. I'll put sticky mesh tape across the join between plasterboard and old 30's plaster. Will this ensure I won't get a hairline crack between them in the future?

Sponsored Links
It will help prevent them, but you have two differing types of plaster, plus one is old and can start to fail at any time.
The movement between the two components, will at some stage create cracks.
Might be worth using a bit of Brick Reinforcement Coil

As above and just to add you need to factor in kids banging doors and the wife doing the same ;)

The scrim might help but it'll more than likely crack very quickly.

Could you add a small rebate to avoid the cracks? Or use it as storage space with shelves?

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do (if you have the depth tolerance) is to hack a margin of plaster off each side of the join, i.e. 100mm or so and allow the plasterboard to lap onto the masonry by said margin.

If depth is a problem use 9.5mm boards. Or skim the whole wall for a pro' finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back