Fine cracks in new plaster - Resilliant Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m just painting a newly plastered ceiling which is 12mm plasterboard on resilliant bars. The bars were installed at 400mm centres and every joint had a bar installed to ensure all edges had support. The joints were all taped up with skrim.

It looks like theres a small amount of movement to the boards (logical being resilient bars) but this is causing very fine cracks at some of the plasterboard joins...

Is there an easy fix to this? The lines are hairline but I don’t want to fit a new kitchen to them need the ceiling redone in a few months if they get worse?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
any movement in the flooring or ceiling joists will crack taped joins.

you would do well to view some utube vids of resilient bar installations.
you might try and save the day by sending in longer screws thro the bars into the joists.
but its maybe touch and go if you can remedy the movement as things stand?
others might know far more about bars than me - i've lost most all faith in soundproofing in domestic situations.

i've lost most all faith in soundproofing in domestic situations.

interestingly, the only real success I could say I’ve ever had, is with resilient bars and rockwool packed in the joists above, on a ceiling single boarded with standard half inch boards. Deffo seems noticeably better than any other effort I’ve ever done with different insulation, gap sealing, double boarding etc.
Anyway, if one as experienced as you has lost faith, then there’s not much hope for the rest of us ;)
Agree likely to be the bars not fixed well enough causing the cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back