filling cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there any plaster or filler on the market which is flexible and i dont mean caulks or acrylic sealants something that can be sanded down eg

crack in a ceiling from expansion and movement of timbers in plasterboards

you apply flexible caulk or sealant into the crack looks ok untill it drys then shrinks and you can see the crack again only other alternative is to skrim tape it and patch it in but surely there is an easier method on the market

Sponsored Links
are you not likely to rub it down and see the skrim tape through the easy fill or if it is painted with silk paint liable to see where it has been patched

Sponsored Links
You'll see scrim tape unless it's skimmed. The best crack filler I've found is from the pound shop called 'Crack Attack' It's flexible and sandable,

You'll see scrim tape unless it's skimmed. ,
disagree here joe i've done it on my hallway ceiling and a wall where board meets solid, also one of my friends had lots of cracks on his ceiling he done it to everyone of them you cant see a thing,also there would be a lot of unhappy people with their drylining if all there tape was showing through because it hadn't been skimmed

That's what tapered board is for.

We'll have to see what Richard thinks - he's the daddy. :LOL:

lol
thinking about it i have had a few jobs where i had to scrim and easyfill on one occasion there was a new build block of flats 5 storys high the stairwells were skimmed to a good standard but someone had forgot to put noggins behind the board for the handrail so they cut square sections out every so often to put the noggins in, i was called out to make good with scrim and easy fill, i done 2 floors this way and you could see no scrim or joins and i dident sand down i used the trowel with water i think i feathered it out to about 10ins or a foot to loose it though

You could bed some paper tape as used for tape and join over the crack and then feather out with easy fill / jointing compound!

That's true. I was thinking of the self adhesive mesh type.

You'll see scrim tape unless it's skimmed. ,
disagree here joe i've done it on my hallway ceiling and a wall where board meets solid, also one of my friends had lots of cracks on his ceiling he done it to everyone of them you cant see a thing,also there would be a lot of unhappy people with their drylining if all there tape was showing through because it hadn't been skimmed
You can successfully blend it in over around 400mm but sometimes it gets to the point where cracks can be so close together, it’s quicker just to skim the entire bloody wall. I often blend it in on ceilings where the cracks tend to be at board joints & far apart; I also use a trick or two to disguise & prevent you noticing it where the ceiling meets the walls; saves you skimming the whole ceiling if it’s sound & I still hate bloody ceiling anyway.

Indeed that’s what it’s for; back in a jiffy, just got to go & check if there are any smoke rings coming outa my asre :LOL:

It is thinner and has a ridge at the center to blend out from. it can be made to look flawless but, and it's a big but, it takes a long time and in regards to tape and join you are still left with a weak finish compared to a nice skim.

the scenario is where you have a ceiling with a dirty long crack across the length of the living room and the customer doesnt want to pay to have it skimmed and i dont like patching in skrim tape because by the time you have feathered it out enough to lose the skrim tape so you cant see a bulge you might as well skim the complete ceiling.

I tried using flexi caulks and stuff in the past and never looks right always see the outline of the crack etc so im thinking the way forward could be easy fill and paper tape

I think the paper tape idea is a 'good un'. Pity I didn't think of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back