cracks in the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I need to repaint my sitting room and diner and want to fill in a couple of long hair cracks in the ceiling. This is what i have been told how to do it: open the ceiling cracks, fill the crack with caulk up to 2mm below the surface, let it dry, fill up to the surface with already mixed filling plaster, let it dry and sand down and paint. Now, i understand that caulk is flexible so it will move with the movement of the walls without cracking but having said that the last 2mm of plaster will certainly crack as it is not as flexible as caulk. The reason i have been told not to fill the crack with caulk up to the surface is because caulk is difficult to sand down but having said that i can not get it why the last 2mm of plaster would not crack then. 1)Could anyone who has been doing that for ages please clarify the above point? 2)Also, how wide and how deep should i open the gap and should i wet the ceiling crack before applying any caulk or filling plaster?3) Is the above procedure suitable for the corners where two perpendicular walls meet? Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
The first thing you should do is make sure the ceiling is secure as it may have dropped and this could be the reason for the cracks in the first place.
Depending on the extent of the cracks and the amount of work you want put in to the job, there are a few methods to remedy your problem.
But as a DIYer, if I was you. I would use a sandable acrylic filler.

Hi and thanks for answering. The ceiling is secure. The walls and ceilings were replastered about 5 years ago and noticed two long hair crack about a couple of years ago. As i want to repaint both rooms i want to fix the two cracks at the same time. I have been told that if i fill them in with acrylic sandable filling like polyfiller only , the cracks will reappear that's why i was advised on going with caulk first and then with polyfiller for the last couple of mm. What is your opinion on that? Thanks again. I am a good DIYer but of course i do not want to go to the extent of pulling the whole ceiling down for a couple of haircracks! Ta.

My opinion when it comes to fine cracks in plastered ceilings and walls is to lay a length of self adhesive repair tape over the crack.
Then apply two our three coats of joint cement compound such as easi-fil other types are available some in ready mixed. Then sand down after each application using 150-180 grade grit paper and feather the compound out on each application so to leave a even smooth finish, this will then need to sealed with a primer.
Then the cracks will not reappear as the may using filler/caulking.

Sponsored Links
If it's a fine hairline crack, is it best to just put the tape over it (as suggested above) or to open up and secure with filler and then tape over etc etc ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back