Cracks around ceiling/wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to solved this problem of cracks around ceiling/ tops of wall. I am thinking when the house got plastered the plasterer has not put a internal scrim where ceiling meets wall.

I was thinking of caulking it but will this crack again?

Thanks

Attachments

• cRACKS.jpg
    cRACKS.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 367
  • cRACKS 2.jpg
    cRACKS 2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 321
Sponsored Links
You can caulk it, but it'll need redoing every year or so as the room expands and contracts. They should have scrim taped it, but it's still no guarantee, and covings pretty much the only real answer. So the dining room is the only one with coving; why worry.

Sponsored Links
OK, I live in a converted Georgian property Circa 1835.

The main rooms, sited to the front have ornate fibrous plaster cornices, the less important rooms and hall have far, far less imposing cornices, then what was a kitchen Scullery at the rear does not have any cornice at all?

Convention back then, and still as far as I am concerned today if there is only one room with a cornice / cove then so be it?

Most modern property have a simple coving installed, why? because it does away with the problem that you have encountered.

Ken.

If you caulk it with enough caulk to run your thumb along it. It will take the expansion and contraction of daily life so crack on ...

This is in a rented property , think ill go with caulk then if come back coving it. Buy me a year as well to fit it in .

Thank you for reply's guys

AAh

Makes sense not to spend time and effort fitting coving when caulk will act as an interim measure?

If that was my lid I would tape and joint the edge for a good finish but it would mean repainting but as it's not your gaff I would just caulk it

That''s exactly what I'd do, tape it with scrim tape, cover the tape neatly with a couple coats of ready mix, sand it down when dried out, then paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back