annoying hair line cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey peeps just skimmed a room that had some cracks where the existing plasterboards had been butted together on the walls and one on the ceiling.

The boards on the walls were solid and had no movement at all had been dabbed to a solid block wall.

The ceiling needed screwing back up tight and I then skrim taped all the joints and skimmed the room complete.

I noticed that hair line cracks have started to appear where these cracks were. all boards are solid there is no movement in them.

I have used to caulk in the cracks and painted over them but the cracks have still come back.

Getting lightly peed off now because I cant see what else I can do other than reboard the room which isnt going to happen.

Is there any latex based fillers on the market similar to felxible grouts and adhesives that can be used?

Sponsored Links
You have to make sure you scrim tape over "all" the cracks before you skim because if you dont or you miss any they will jump back out and bite you on the ass, ;)

He said he taped all the joints! Just a thought is there a loft conversion above this room?

My bathroom is blacklime. I replaced a partition wall, as it needed insulating, plus new shower etc.

Now my blacklime walls were (are) as hard as nails, no cracks nothing. I couldnt remove them as i didnt have time. Now 18 months down the line, i have noticed small hairline cracks in a few different places. If these appeared in the plasterboard walls i would be looking for a new job, but i guess its the lime plaster underneath moving slighty as its lime.

I would normally just easi fill it and touch up the paint. But i couldnt be arsed so i just got some more tiles and added a few more rows of tiles...

If theres cracks in the plasterboard, I would wonder what your spread did or sorry, didn't do. Got any pics

Sponsored Links
I've got a hairline crack in my bedroom that I just live with. It's caused by the timber in the ceiling moving so there's nothing I can do about it. If I fill it - then when it closes it becomes a hairline ridge. If I sand the ridge - it becomes a hairline crack. Can't win.

I am a plasterer and been plastering for over 7 years and can assure you it was all done correctly and skrimmed completley. If the boards had movement in them I could understand it.

Dont get me wrong if push come to shove i could over board the wall and offset the joints to the cracks and this would solve the problem but its a bit of overkill. I was just wondering if there is any kind of flexi filler on the market that works because skimming these joints and skimming over them would not solve this problem! It has the origional skrim tape and skim then my skrim tape and skim and its still cracking. There is obviously movement in the wall but its not from the boards.

It's the timbers the boards are fastened to that are moving.

Then the boards are moving whether you like it or not. No magic in this world, kid.

maybe the wall is moving, nothing surprises me. Ive only ever got hairline cracks when i have plastered over old plaster, when that has moved underneath. If you easi fill it, does it come back?

Also caulk dries out after a while and shrinks, causing cracks. I have noticed this on my skirting. After a year or two, i can see where i caulked on the wonky walls in my house.

So has anybody got an ideas to solve this problem mixing some liquid latex with standard filler?

So has anybody got an ideas to solve this problem mixing some liquid latex with standard filler?

You will still get cracks. I will hazards a guess that the solid wall was constructed using lime, if this is the case the wall will move. When d&ding you should take this into consideration when you scrim. Self adhesive scrim will fail with movement but cotton or hessian scrim will hold if the movement isn't massive.

hey peeps just skimmed a room that had some cracks where the existing plasterboards had been butted together on the walls and one on the ceiling.

The boards on the walls were solid and had no movement at all had been dabbed to a solid block wall.

The ceiling needed screwing back up tight and I then skrim taped all the joints and skimmed the room complete.

I noticed that hair line cracks have started to appear where these cracks were. all boards are solid there is no movement in them.

I have used to caulk in the cracks and painted over them but the cracks have still come back.

Getting lightly peed off now because I cant see what else I can do other than reboard the room which isnt going to happen.

Is there any latex based fillers on the market similar to felxible grouts and adhesives that can be used?

Hi guy, here are two videos that may help. the first is about cracks on the exterior, however the same principals apply to the interior and the second is a way we correct cracks for interior rooms. There are many different methods. here are two. Best wishes, Kirk Giordano Plastering
http://youtu.be/dAaRW4gb0oc
http://youtu.be/EE7alMSzuNs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back