Hair-line cracks in reskimmed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I had my kitchen reskimmed. I haven't got round to emulsioning yet but I've noticed three hair-line cracks have appeared in the ceiling. They're each no more than 1m or 1.5m and, as I say, only very fine line cracks. The plasterer came back and looked and said that you couldn't ever be sure of preventing such cracks appearing and that I should just polyfilla over them and then sand down. Does that sound reasonable? In any case I don't think I'll do that but rather just apply some Polycell Crack-Free Ceiling paint and emulsion over that, as I think any polyfilla would gradually fall out due to movement above upstairs. Any comments or advice would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Was the ceiling new boarding or boarding over or just skimming over whatever was in place such as boards or plaster laths?

Is there a floor above or a loft?

Was the ceiling new boarding or boarding over or just skimming over whatever was in place such as boards or plaster laths?

Is there a floor above or a loft?
It was just skimming over what was there already, which I think was plasterboard although it might even have been the original plaster laths. Above, there is the floor of a back bedroom. Two of the fine cracks seem to match the sides of an airing cupboard in this bedroom and the other crack seems to match the threshhold of the bedroom door.

Has there been any recent changes with the central heating pipe runs or rad positions?

At the locations you mentioned is there any movement or creaking in the floor?
Is the whole upper floor firm and rigid, level & flat?

If the above questions come up blank, and the original plasterer wont deal with the hairline cracks then why not wait and see for say another month and then do what you proposed above?

Sponsored Links
Has there been any recent changes with the central heating pipe runs or rad positions?

At the locations you mentioned is there any movement or creaking in the floor?
Is the whole upper floor firm and rigid, level & flat?

If the above questions come up blank, and the original plasterer wont deal with the hairline cracks then why not wait and see for say another month and then do what you proposed above?
No recent changes in CH etc but it is a 1920s house and the floorboards above are not even, firm and flat.

You might have notched & weakened joists - the irregular flooring could indicate pipe runs?
But I would still wait and see.

It looks like if he has over skimmed the original ceiling when there may have been hairline cracks form movement over the years. He should of thoroughly checked it and scrim-taped all evident cracks. I would get a decorator in and put thin gauge lining paper over the ceiling and emulsion as normal...

It looks like if he has over skimmed the original ceiling when there may have been hairline cracks form movement over the years. He should of thoroughly checked it and scrim-taped all evident cracks. I would get a decorator in and put thin gauge lining paper over the ceiling and emulsion as normal...

Absolutely Roy,, well said. A thorough check of the whole ceiling before any skimming, and tape any cracks is vital. If it was me, i'd have it re-done. Even "crack free" paint wont stop it cracking again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back