Hairline plaster crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The property is 120 years old with lathe and plaster walls.
The walls were skimmed over 5 years ago, and lasted well without cracks.
Now there is a 3 foot long hairline crack above the radiator.
I raked it out and filled with Polyfilla, then emulsioned the whole wall. The crack returned immediately. Perhaps I should not have switched on the radiator so soon after filling and painting.

I am thinking of chiseling out a shallow one inch wide grove along the crack then cutting some mesh tape to size or masking tape, and putting this in the groove before smoothing over with Polyfilla. I am a fan of Polyfilla and it usually handles cracks, but not this time.

Should this work? Can you suggest anything better?

The house is for sale and I don't want any recriminations from the buyer.

The surveyor did not notice because when the radiator is on the heat closes the crack.

Sponsored Links
The house is 120 years old, the surveyor did not notice, not your problem.

Have a good house move.

Andy

It's nobody's problem - it's just a decorating issue.

Thanks to you both.

I am a worrier, and I don't like the thought of the new owner being unhappy about things and having a moan.

On this occasion given your comments I may just leave it.

However, out of interest and just in case I revert to type, do you think my idea would work?

Sponsored Links
It would but can you do it seamlessly? You'd prolly have to paint the whole room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back