Hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my walls reskimmed on Saturday however, I have come across hairline cracks at all of my board joints down one wall, (Every 600mm) it has been revealed to me that when my house was built the joints of board had not been taped on one wall (Found as we can see tape behind skirting on other walls but not on this), thus hair line cracks have appeared. Can i get the joints taped now on the current surface and have the wall skimmed again? If so what is the best tape to used to eliminate hairline cracks?

Sponsored Links
You can, ideally best practise would be to rake out at the joints of boards and apply tape, this will help reduce/prevent re-occurrence.

(Found as we can see tape behind skirting on other walls but not on this), ?
if i were you i would do a thorough investigation just because there is tape behind skirting on the other walls dosent mean your other wall has not been taped, the orignal plasterer may have taped the walls up but stopped short of the skirting line as there dosent have to be scrim under the skirting

True enough this is an assumption.. That said i did not have any cracks in the wall prior to the new skim and these are quite truely hairline all perfectly vertical. My plasterer suggested filling with a Caulk but i said i was not keen he has now suggested taping all the joints on exteranl layer newly created and skimming the wall once more. What would be your thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
What would be your thoughts on this?
if the plasterer was to just tape and skim i have a feeling the cracks would come back, i would do as pbod says cut back apply fresh tape and reskim, also if you was to just have tape and reskim and the cracks did come back you would then require further treatment meaning a 3rd skim
"EDIT" you could cut back and tape and joint the joints also for cheaper option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back