Reskim over emulsioned walls and ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a month ago I had my kitchen walls and ceiling reskimmed. It hadn't been touched (even re-emulsioned) since I moved in 34 years ago (yeah, I know) so there were various big cracks in the emulsioned walls, and where the walls meet the ceiling the plaster was crumbling (which made me wonder whether the original plasterer had used tape there). Anyway, I scraped out the loose plaster between walls and ceiling and scraped off any flaking emulsion paint on the walls, although most of it was not flaking so I left it on. Anyway, the plasterer came and did what looks like a good job. The thing is, I've been reading online forums about emulsioning over reskims and in passing I've come across a couple of posts where it says that you should remove emulsion paint before reskimming. The plasterer came to give me an estimate but he didn't tell me I needed to scrape off all the emulsion paint first. Obviously, it's too late now but I just wondered: Is that correct? Nothing I can do at this stage but it's a bit worrying.

Sponsored Links
Remove emulsion before re skimming ! Bizarre and impossible. Nothing to worry about.

He may have meant remove any "flakey" emulsion paint!! If it looks alright and it will take paint, then it should be ok. It seems you did the "prep" for him and if it's sound now you did a good job...;) Can you imagine if painters had to remove emulsion paint on every inside job they did!!!! I can't...

Sponsored Links
He may have meant remove any "flakey" emulsion paint!! If it looks alright and it will take paint, then it should be ok. It seems you did the "prep" for him and if it's sound now you did a good job...;) Can you imagine if painters had to remove emulsion paint on every inside job they did!!!! I can't...
Thanks, that's reassuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back