Hairline Cracks Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had 3 rooms skimmed ceilings and walls, noticed last night I have hair line cracks in every ceiling. Thing is the skimming was done over a year ago all ceilings were painted (except final coat) for about the same time and no cracks appeared in that time, final coat went on in August. All the rooms that have the cracks in currently have no radiators, they due to be fitted but I was let down but I should have them fitted in next 3 weeks. The rooms under them have rads so the rooms without rads do get some heat.

Could the coldness in the rooms cause these cracks, or could it even just be in the paint ? The cracks are minor in width about 1m but upto 2ft in length. Should I stick some temporay heaters in the room until I get the new rads in to avoid further cracking ?

Sponsored Links
You can expect more cracking when the rads go in. Just wait until the cracking is stable and fill them. If they are hairline then you can usually just fill them with paint. Plaster is very brittle.

The above is if the ceiling was plastered on top of existing plaster. If the cracks a straight and you had the ceiling boarded then I'd say that no scrim was used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back