hairy ball theorem

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Concentrated sulphuric acid poured over sugar is interesting....pure carbon!

The volcano experiment:

Make a small mound of ammonium dichromate crystals and put a piece of magnesium ribbon in the top to act as a fuse. (You need a very high temperature to get the thing started.) Light the fuse and watch as a huge quantity of green chrome dioxide erupts from the top. :cool: :cool: :cool:

The exploding filter paper experiment:

You could do this one at home because the ingredients were readily available. Add iodine to ammonia. You will get a brown sludge of nitrogen tri-iodide. Filter this off, spread out the filter paper and let it dry. Once dry, it will explode on contact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The exploding tin experiment:

Get a large tin with a push fit lid and make two holes in it: one in the lid and one in the base. Contrive to fill the tin with gas. (How you did this was not explained.) With your finger over the hole in the lid, stand the tin on two bricks. Quickly remove your finger, light the gas at the top hole and stand well back. (I would also recommend a wall of bricks in front of the tin.) The gas will burn at the hole until a sufficient quantity of air has entered the tin through the bottom - at which point the mixture will explode and blow the lid off. :D :D :D

Edit: H&S addendum:

Chrome dioxide is poisonous. When you have finished the volcano experiment, carefully sweep up all the green dust and place it in a sealed plastic bag then ask your council about their policy on safe disposal of toxic metals. You should wear a mask while the experiment is in progress in case you inhale any. You should of course wear goggles. Make sure that these are UV proof because burning magnesium emits a lot of UV radiation.

While your nitrogen tri-iodide is drying out, erect a barrier around the filter paper with a sign saying "Danger, Explosives"

You should be CORGI - oops, I mean Gas Safe - registered to perform the exploding tin experiment.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exploding tin experiment.

Much safer method.

Using a tin with a push fit lid, (metal tin and metal lid not plastic), half fill with self raising flour, (must be self raising), and generous amount of vinegar.
Place lid securely on tin and stand well back!
Can't remember what the resultant mix is called but if done correctly it makes one hell of a bang! (Oh, and one hell of a mess! :LOL: :LOL: )

I could add a few others, but don't want the anti terrorist squad knocking on my door. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When we were youngsters, we use to be able to buy the constituants of gunpowder, do what we did then, and you would be locked up.
We made some pretty impressive bangs.. :LOL:
saltpetre, carbon and sulphur. What's the ratio again? ;) :LOL:

75% 15% 10%

But nowhere neaqr as good as potassium clorate (weedkiller) and aluminium powder. The constituents of a thunder flash.

Or even Ammonium nitrate (farm fertilizer) and aluminium powder.

Info easily available from t'internet mind!! No spooks to my house please !

lets hope the terrorists dont get to hear about mentos and coca-cola :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that there are some dangerous nutters on here!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back