hairy ball theorem

Was on a school trip when I was 14. My claasmates wanted to use the mains to power a radio cassette player, and the pulled the wire from the 3 pin plug and shoved the tails into the a french 2 pin plug. Needless to say it didn't work, but had flashed a sizeable spark. I came into the room a couple of minutes later, and fitted the wires properly into the plug. Still didn't work!

Along came a teacher, who told us that the main fuse had blown (obviously from my classmates curious efforts!!). When they reset it, the radio worked, but I got the blame, in spite of my protestations, and was grounded whilst all my "mates" went out for a nice dinner in a local restaurant! Charming eh?

Luckily, I don't hold a grudge, the c***s :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
When we were youngsters, we use to be able to buy the constituants of gunpowder, do what we did then, and you would be locked up.
We made some pretty impressive bangs.. :LOL:

We were allowed to play with chemistry sets and create awful smells, sparkly 'fireworks', and use every day items to make tin lids explode off cans!
Thinking about it nearly everything in the kitchen cupboard/larder was dangerous in those days. You just needed to know what to use and how to use it and this was often shown on TV programs like 'HOW' and Magpie!
(Susan Stranks! Cor!!! ;) ) :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nope, but she had this strange frizzy hair!

(On her head Mr Tim, on her head!)
I think your first thought may also be correct :D

susan.jpg

When we were youngsters, we use to be able to buy the constituants of gunpowder, do what we did then, and you would be locked up.
We made some pretty impressive bangs.. :LOL:
saltpetre, carbon and sulphur. What's the ratio again? ;) :LOL:

saltpetre, carbon and sulphur. What's the ratio again?

Big spatula, (teaspoon more like), of each and go heavy on the sulphur! :LOL: :LOL:
Better mixed damp and allowed to dry, add iron filings for sparks, potassium Permanganate for red colour.Magnesium ribbon was also good to play with you could use it to start a thermite reaction between powdered aluminium and iron oxide. scary stuff. ;)

probably only contain phials of salt and sugar and if an 18 stickers on it perhaps :eek: :eek: pepper?

Sponsored Links
Back