hairy ball theorem

Bring back Jimmy Young, Tony Blacburn, Simon Dee, Simon Bates etc!
Not forgetting of course Jimmy Saville! Aaarrrrrrrrgh.

I can't believe that you forgot the late, great Alan (Fluff) Freeman! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, I remember the days when a disc jockey's primary function was to play records. Not now --

"Well that was a load of old rubbish wasn't it - but guess what, it used up another five minutes!" (Chris Evans) Today's DJs apparently pride themselves on their ability to NOT play records. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not so long ago I found myself trying to explain pirate radio to my teenage nephew. The idea that anybody would want to operate a radio station from a ship was beyond his comprehension. (He also took it for granted that he and his girlfriend could make love as and when they pleased - but that's a different story.)

"So the new, licensed, land-based stations were better?"

"No, there weren't!" :mad: :mad: :mad:

They were almost as good - and a whole lot easier to run - but that's about all. Many years ago, the Director General of Radio One (may he rot in hell) declared that he wouldn't be playing any more Status Quo because they were "too old". :eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't tuned in to that worthless station ever since. I mourn the passing of Radio 270, Radio Caroline, Radio Veronica and Radio North Sea International (to name but a few). :( :( :( Maybe the sound quality was terrible but they gave us free radio and, for that, I rank them alongside Marie Stopes! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
you forgot the late, great Alan (Fluff) Freeman

Didn't forget him just too many to mention! :LOL:

"Well that was a load of old rubbish wasn't it - but guess what, it used up another five minutes!" (Chris Evans)

That is supposed to be funny? Don't think so. I have never liked him.

Other good ones are Paul Gambichini, the late and sadly missed John Peel, (both educational when they spoke), Noel Edmonds, (in his early days), Dave Lee Travis, (the hairy monster, who thankfully is on our local station of a w/e), David (kid) Jenson. There are so many that have now faded away because some pillock decides playing the same few notes over and over again 'is the music of today'.

A couple of years ago my daughter was in her bedroom listening to [music], when I asked her to change the song because she had been playing the same one over and over. She replied that it was a CD and they were all different songs! To me it seemed like the same thumpy scratching all the time! :eek:

I first heard Kid Jenson on Luxembourg, which, after the demise of RNI, was all we had left. :cry: :cry: :cry: (In those days, Radio One went off the air at some ludicrously early hour.) The others that I can remember were Baby Bob Stewart, as in "It's two in a row on the Baby Bob show!", Paul Burnett and Prince Tony.

Being long distance medium wave, the sound was terrible, always fading in and out, but we loved it. I still have an old tape somewhere with some tracks that I never heard anywhere else.

To me it seemed like the same thumpy scratching all the time!

Are you sure it was only music you could hear? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"Lazer 558, where you're never more than 60 seconds away from another record"

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it was only music you could hear?

Absolutely, she was still single and on her own up there! :LOL: :LOL:

I used to have an old gramaphone style radio and the string on the tuning knob was broke. Had to stick my hand in the back and push the tuner round by hand and tune into Luxemburg. Never crossed my mind I might get electrocuted! :eek:

Live dangerously, Yeah!! :LOL: :LOL:

Radio 1? Abslute s***te!
Tried not to listen to that station since my early 20's! :eek:
The presenters are SOOOOOO full of themselves!

Not at all like Tony Blackburn & Hairy Cornflakes, then? ;)

never listened to radio 1. awful business. i find their presenters repulsive (they always have some sideline like presenting a tv show or being a news reporter etc) and they all tawk fanny. :evil:

galaxy yorkshire - thats a good station, as is hallam fm - and they all talk reet. ;)

Tony Blackburn was alright in his early days on Radio Caroline but then his head started swelling. These days it seems to be a foremost criteria to have a big head from the outset!
By Hairy Cornflake I take it you mean DLT?
If so then I disagree. He is nowhere as bad as todays 'presenters' and I enjoy listening to him and his sidekick 'Dangerous Dave' on Magic 1548 here in Liverpool each Sat/Sun. We used to have a lad here called Mark Jones who was VERY knowlegeable about a whole spectrum of music who would giv you a very brief synopsis about an artist then play their music and let you decide for yourself if you liked them or not. Sadly he moved to a London station I think, our loss their gain.

Or burnt yourself on a hot valve!

Not a care in the world in them days!

I'd 'wired' up a socket on 2 black single cables and plugged them into the socket in my brothers bedroom.
Fed up with tripping over them my mum told me to get shut of it. In a fit of temper I grabbed a pair of scissors.

Yep!
It was still plugged in! :eek:
Threw me backwards against the wardrobe.
Mums reply?
"That'll teach you to mess with things you know nothing about." :LOL: :LOL:

Or burnt yourself on a hot valve!

Not a care in the world in them days!

I'd 'wired' up a socket on 2 black single cables and plugged them into the socket in my brothers bedroom.
Fed up with tripping over them my mum told me to get shut of it. In a fit of temper I grabbed a pair of scissors.

Yep!
It was still plugged in! :eek:
Threw me backwards against the wardrobe.
Mums reply?
"That'll teach you to mess with things you know nothing about." :LOL: :LOL:
I did a very similar thing when I was a kid, got a transformer 240 input 12 volt output, clever me thought I would use it for my electric train set, did not have any insulating tape so just twisted the mains wires separated them apart and placed them under the carpet.
All the train did was make a buzzing noise (AC instead of DC) and would not move. I lifted the carpet to check the wires, and somehow managed to grab hold of each........frozen to the spot could not move, fortunately my mum grabbed the wires and yanked them away.
Please mum don't tell my dad...had quite deep burns in my fingers where current had gone in..
now 50 years later I have erratic heart beat...I wonder? ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back