Half a Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently one of my radiators became only warm at the top half and cold at the bottom.

I am not so sure which is the inlet and outlet pipe but the pipe which contains the adjusting valve feels warm but the pipe on the other end feels hot like the other radiators.

I doubt it is a sludge problem because everything is less than two years old and the other rads seem fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
2 years is plenty of time for it to sludge up if the inhibitor wasnt added to begin with....Infact the chemical reactions can start from day 1 especialy if the system had a replacement boiler and the pipes were not correctly flushed out

You have bled the radiator?
Which valve is the cold side?
If it is the thermostat side then take the head off and push the pin in and out with the flat end of something metal to free it....do not push and pull the pin with pliers, you will get wet.

If that doesnt work then take note of how far open the "cold" valve is and open it a bit more.....if no change put it back how it was....

Failing that you might need to get someone to have a look unless you are confident enough to take the rad off and hose it through..

Good luck

Oh when I mentioned less than 2 yrs old, I meant the whole system, from the pipes, boilers, radiators, etc.

I have bled the radiators and water pretty much came out immediately.

Im assuming my thermostat valve is on the outlet end of the pipe, which seems to be only warm instead of hot like the inlet pipe. All the inlet and outlet pipes for my other radiators seem equally hot in temperature.

So is it just something to do with the thermostat valve then, with something being stuck. However I dont think I cant really remove the head of the thermostat because it is a Danfoss.

Thanks in advance.

Oh when I mentioned less than 2 yrs old, I meant the whole system, from the pipes, boilers, radiators, etc.
Oh when i mentioned that sludge and dirty water can start building up from the very first day the system was put in, thats exactly what i meant :LOL:

You should be able to just take the head of the stat off and check the pin is free, if not then get someone who can :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Alright so from the description do you think that it is more likely to be a thermostat problem than being a radiator fault/sludge problem?

could be slight blockage to one of the rad valves....just open the trv and the other side fully open ...see if that helps...open and close them a few times...

still nothing...close the other rads down by closing the trv...see if that warms ur problem rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back