Half "converted" loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just moved into a first floor flat - circa 1900.
A previous owner converted the loft and used it as an office, but it can't be used for anything apart from storage at the moment as it would fail building regs.

It's got a laid floor and velux windows, plaster boarded walls etc.

The staircase to it is enclosed but does not come all the way down to the first floor level (due to head height of staircase coming up from the ground floor) So what looks like a cupboard door about 2 feet off the ground is actually the access to the loft.

The owner before me had to put ceiling supports back up in the loft on recommendations from their surveyer and I have no idea what the floor joists are like. I do know that the staircase would have to come all the way down but can't see how.

My issue is that I would like to think about getting it properly converted but where do I start?

Do I get an architect in first to tell me if it's possible (esp what to do with the staircase), and then get a structual enginner? Or should I get the enginner in first incase it totally can't be done, or be done within my budget? Or would a builder be ok for a preliminary look?

Sorry if this sounds daft but I really have no idea of the way around to start looking at this.

Sponsored Links
Building Control will predominantly be interested in fire and structure followed by the thermal regs depending on when the conversion was carried out. It may be advantagous to say it was done in say 2002 or before. Note that it needs to conform to the regs that were current at the time of the conversion. Unless you're willing to mess about with the layout on paper and learn about the relevant regs and want the hassle of getting "regularisation" yourself approach an Architectural Technician (see Yell) not an Architect. No need to bother with a SE just yet they may only be required later on. Invite 3 Arch tech's round to have a look and give you a quote go with the one you think is best. They should be able to give you a good idea of the route to take which is likely to be along the lines of:

1) Have a look and hopefully give a rough idea that installing a staircase is feasible or not.
2) If it is give you a quote (I'd guess around £300-500) and confirm to you how much the local authority regularisation fee will be (probably around £250).
3) Assuming you appoint them they'll then do a basic survey and some plans and draw up a new layout that complies and you're happy with. At this point you may have to lift some floor boards to confirm the sizes of the floor joists etc. Depending on whats revealed may determine whether an SE needs to be appointed to prove whats been built is structurally ok or not. (Though tbh when I've done regularisation's in the past I tend to submit it to building control first and see if they're happy with it unless its obvious it won't comply without SE input). Also at this stage your Arch Tech should be giving you a good idea of what changes if any need to be made which should give you a rough idea on what it'll cost you for a builder or yourself to do any works nenecessaryNote that if you then decided not to pursue the regularisation you still need to cough up some cash for the Arch Tech for the work he's done.
4) Add anything else to the plans like indicating certain doors are to be fire doors and indicate mains smoke alarms etc etc to suit submission to Building Control. May need to do a structure layout indicating joists, purlin/rafter sizes etc etc.
5) Fill in the forms, print drawings etc and submit to Building Control.
6) As your agent the Arch Tech will deal with any queries Building Control may have and advise with regards to the structure and if needs be liaise with the SE if needed. If an SE is required they're fee is likely to be approx £200-300.
7) Once you get approval, get accurate quotes from builders and get work done.

Report back here and tell us what a laugh its been!

Have a look here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115313974838.html and you're local authority's website under building control for 'regularisation'

Hi there. Many thanks for that post. It's been really useful. I've been rendered completely inactive by the scale of work that needs doing in the flat in general, but thought it was time I pulled my finger out and started looking into things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back