Half height walls????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house with a lounge which is approx 24 foot by 12 foot and has a door at each end. It seems ideal to divide into a lounge and a dining room but I am unsure as the dining room end would have only one small window to the outside with other light coming in from the adjoining kitchen and kids playroom.
My idea is to put in a half height type wall, perhaps 1m high to create a visual divide and allow different decoration and flooring but still allow light into both halves.
We had a half wall in the lounge of the house I grew up in but that was 1970's and am wondering if they are dated?

Do any of you still get asked to fit them?

Are they a good idea

Sponsored Links
People still fit mock Tudor beams to the lounge, and you wont get more dated than that.

The thing is, its your house, you will be sitting there looking at it, do what ever you like

You can always fit french doors in the middle, or the 1/2 wall with a window in.

shower curtains make a cheap barrier that lets light through if you want to be really naff :D :D

Do any of you
builders who post on here have any experience of building one? and have you been asked to build them recently?

Sponsored Links
I would sooner put a decent stylish low shelving unit as it creates the same idea but is useful looks better can be easily moved and will probably be as cheap.

Yeah was thinking of perhaps one side of the wall having the sofa backed on to it and then the other side being open to create book case for my wife's massive collection of books.

I think its time to make the plunge and make something, any suggestions? Are we thinking blockwork tied to wall and floor or studworkand plaster maybe with anchor bolts to wall and floor?

If it were me I would forget about the wall all together and build a very large but see through book case which when filled up with books and stuff functions as a wall but also lets light and sight lines through to make the space either side feel bigger and still connected yet clearly defines two different areas.

like http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/040309book-06.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back