Gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with a dining room and a lounge either side of an original gable end wall (dining room in the original house, lounge in the extension) I would like to create a fireplace that is open to both rooms i.e. puch a big hole through the wall. Is this even theoretically possible, before I start bothering builders for quotes? I should point out that there is already a working open fire (dining room side) and chimney in place.

Sponsored Links
without seeing the wall and your drawn proposals it is hard to say, but theoretically it is possible.

having two chimneys in one room can have a detrimental effect to the weaker of the two chimneys.

weaker as in draw.

Might have misled you a bit. The existing chimney is staying, but servicing a fire that is visible from both rooms.

As mentioned above you need to watch that one chimney ( the stronger one) does not draw the smoke from the other fire across the room instead of it going up the chimney it is supposed to.

Could make the room uninhabitable.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm still not making myself clear. The gable wall is in between the dining room and the lounge. So I want one fire, opening both sides, so that it can be viewed/used from each room. The existing chimney is in this wall, so I assume that can be utilised in some way. Hope that's clearer - thanks

I would say almost definitely yes but you will need a lintel installed above the new opening on what used to be the outside of the gable.

I am planning to do the same but on an internal stack; out of interest, are you leaving the hearth open or installing a multi-fuel burner? I’m having trouble finding a double sided burner I like as the range seems very limited

Thanks!.
I did look at multi-fuel burners (too traditional for our property) and contemporary 'tunnel' fires (way too expensive at around £4k+ for my budget), so haven't gone any further yet. Both rooms are warm enough, so I'll probably leave the hearth open, as it will only be a visual treat really (and we like real fires).

That's precisely the problem I’m having; I want a modern, contemporary design & did find a very nice Scandinavian tunnel stove but, as you’ve found, the price tag was a bit frightening!

Being rural, we have a plentiful supply of ‘natural’ fuel & we currently have an open fire & we really enjoy from October through to March. I don’t like to use the guard as it sort of defeats the object but it tends to spit out burning embers without any warning, burning great big holes in the cheap, nylon carpet! We haven’t bothered about it too much in the 3 years we’ve been here as it was due to be gutted but this summer will see the revamp of the lounge/dinner with, hopefully, the single fire as a centre piece but I certainly don’t want to be burning holes in the new Oak flooring & carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back