Hallway Door Removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in a 3 floor town house. On the ground floor we have a 3rd bedroom, a utility room and an en-suite. Upon entering the front door, there is a small cloakroom, then a door(fire retardant) onto the hallway which leads to the stairs and rooms. I would like to remove this door in the hallway to get more light throughout the ground floor. All doors in the house are Fire doors. Am i allowed to remove the door in the hallway? And am i correct in thinking that only fire doors to integrated garages need to be self closing?

Regards Paul

Sponsored Links
You should not make the provisions for fire safety any worse than they are now.

A three storey property must conform to a greater degree of fire safety measures because of a greater risk, and its not just about garages.

I can't see how this door is doing anything to protect the means of escape, but removing it might make things draughtier. Domestic doors don't generally need closers, but you should provide appropriate mains fire alarms.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for your replies. We have had the building inspector out, and he has given us the go ahead to remove the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back