Halogen and horrendous buzz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Head scratching time

I bought a ceiling light which has 7 x 10W 12V G4 halogen bulbs in it. I bought 2 for the same room.

Connected them up with help from friend who knows about wiring and he did it a breeze.

Turn them on and the actually base of the light on the ceiling buzzes like crazy. I mean really loud, both of them do it so it can't be faulty.

I bought a low voltage dimmer switch from b&q and that didnt solve it either. At full power its still very loud and at lower voltage much worse.

So i'm puzzled, if at full power it still buzzes would an on/off switch even cure it / or maybe i need a special low voltage dimmer just for halogens? Still doesnt make sense that it buzzes at full power though :confused:

Sponsored Links
overloaded dimmer/transformers not suitable for dimming.check these first

Dimmer doesnt make a buzz - transformer inside the ceiliing light buzzing and suitable for dimming.

Does say need compatible dimmer - you think its that?

B&Q dimmer in instructions said it was ok for halogen. :s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back