Halogen Light Smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a rented house where the landlord is a bit of a DIY'er and we've had a few problems with various bits and pieces around the house and are now in dispute over several things making relations difficult.

I know he has installed a lot of the electrics himself and is adamant he is qualified to do so (I'm not convinced - he talks too much!)

Anyway - the reason I'm here is to ask your advice and opinions.

The electrics tripped a couple of times yesterday when switching on the halogen ceiling lights in the kitchen. This morning upon switching them on a fair amount of smoke came from one of the lights although it tripped the electrics the bulb did not blow.

We reported to agent who agreed to inform landlord who duly sent one of his electrician friends around to have a look. After trying to tell me it was dust which had caused the smoke I eventually convinced him to have a look and he took the bulb out - pulled the wires down and first came out a pale grey box that was all melted followed by a black round box which was red hot.

The electrician then said this is quite normal in these types of lights and although it had melted it would not have caused a fire?!!! He said it was very common and happened all the time! I asked him to please check the other lights as I have an 18 month baby in the house and felt quite worried. He replied he would speak to the Landlord and if she agreed he would come back and check them after the weekend. He replaced the melted bit with another one then refused to let me keep the melted bit as he wanted to show it to the Landlord.

I am in dispute with the landlord re the kitchen floor (see separate post in Tile section if you still have the will to live and are even remotely interested!)
so my feeling is he thinks I am just trying to cause trouble or something.

Can someone tell me - is this normal for these lights and is it a potential fire hazard? The lights are in the ceiling of the new extension which the landlord is fond of telling me he "built with his own hands" (although he works in HR for a day job?!!)

All help greatly appreciated

Freya

P.S Sorry it's long - try to keep up! :eek:)

Sponsored Links
Yes this could, and does burn houses down.

Halogen lights get ridiculously hot, and if anything comes into contact with them (wires, timber, transformers) it will burn.

Ask you agent/landlord for the Electrical Installation Certificate, I bet there isn't one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back