Halstead Ace DHW heat exchanger needs cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have deduced through working through the forums that I need to clean the DHW Heat Exchanger in my Halstead Ace Boiler.

The hot water comes on, then after 30 seconds / 1 minute it goes cold, then after a while will go hot again, before going cold.

Can anybody suggest how to go about cleaning the DHW heat exchanger?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If this the same as the HighAce, the plate to plate is easily removeable, but they have a filter in the middle which is a pain to remove.

Im sure some experts on here may correct this advice as Im not 100% sure.

A strong drain cleaner may sort it, or Fernox Ds40. I used to use D-Block, but Im not sure if its still available?

Paul.

You need an acid. DS40 or Kamco FX-2. Use either hot (pour boiling water in tap water side).
Kettle descaler will work if citric or phosphoric acid.
Hydrochloric acid's quickest.
Many drain cleaners are strong alkali and won't touch it.

Sponsored Links
Gassafeman, the condensing ones have a filter in the plate to plate, and your right a pain to remove the filter sometimes, the non condensing ones didnt have the filter in the plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back