Halstead Ace High Combi Boiler Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Boiler will fire up ok & stay on for a half an hour or an hour or so but it eventually switches off on it's own. It seems that calling for Hot Water causes the Burner & Burner LED to go off; Hot water comes out at first but then quickly goes cold (within a minute or 2). Turning the Hot water tap off again does not cause the Boiler to ignite again so there is then no Central Heating; the Burner LED stays off.

I have checked that the thermistor changes value when hot & cold (but don't know what values it should be -does anyone know?)

The Primary Flow Sensor 'piston' does generally go up and down & switch the microswitch (not sure if it did during this test, will check).

The pump does run (I've listened to it and taken the cap off the end & seen it spinning {when it slows down; it's too fast to see when it's running normally}). Mains is getting to the pump when it's running (of course).

I notice that there's an inline filter inside the 'Group Set'; does this need to be cleaned occasionally? I think this is only for DHW?

Could the problem be overheating when calling for DHW? I haven't tested the 'Safety Overheat Thermostat' yet, I must do that!

I think I've tested that all the microswitches go off & on (0 Ohms) including the 'Air Pressure Switch'.

The other symptom I was (and probably still am) getting is that when the CH Timer has switched to 'Off' (after the CH has been running ok), maybe 1 hour later, a Relay on the PCB clicks, the Primary Flow Sensor 'plunger' raises, switches the Microswitch then the Relay goes off again & this cycle continues forever!

I've been trying to eliminate verything else to decide if it's a PCB fault as I don't want to spend £150 on a new PCB if that's not the cause of the problem.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of a Circuit Diagram for the PCB & is there such a thing as a proper Service Manual for these Boilers (I have the 'Installation Manual')

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading this.
'ThePrisoner'

Edit/Delete Message

Sponsored Links
PS
The CHeating does seem to go off eventually left to it's own devices even if DHW is not called for, especially if the CH is on 'low'.

Cheers, The Prisoner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back