Halstead boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, can anyone tell me what causes the pin to push out when the heating or DHW is activated on this boiler (ace 82) as mine doesn't push out, obviously some of you are aware i have had recent problems with it and i'm trying to eliminate some of the symptoms - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
On most combis it is the rubber diaphragm that controls this. I don't know this Halstead intimately, so only general advice.

Can it be related to a water pump problem too?

do you mean the circulating pump in the boiler?

if so yes

I think you mean the pump proving switch, if thepump has died then it wont do nowt if it dont do nowt then the boiler wont fire up

:)

Sponsored Links
I'm going to fit a new pump head and diaphragm to the CH micro switch, there is another Micro switch that controls the DHW that also has another pin, is this another diaphragm to be replaced as well?

Halstead said i can go to wicks to get the pump head can i also get the diaphragms too?

How easy are the diaphragms to fit, what do i need to do etc?

Cheers Mark.

Halstead said i can go to wicks to get the pump head can i also get the diaphragms too?

Cheers Mark.

Thats very unusual! They usually tell you to go and get one of theirs at three times the cost!

But why do you think the pump has failed?????

Tony

Because the original was taken off because allegedly that had failed, he (the bent corgi guy) then bodged a "wirlo" pump head on and it doesn't seat properly so im just going to buy an original pump head.

Any info on the diaphragms? are they easy to do?

Have you powered the original pump from the mains and tested it???

It may be seized and require freeing?

If so then your water is probably dirty!

99% of pump failures are as a result of dirty water!

Tony

The wheel on the original pump was very stiff when i turned it but i never powered it from the mains.

Are the rubber diaphragms easy to fit tony?

Why change somethine which is probably not failed?

Why not wet and try to free the pump impeller and then try powering it from the mains?

Tony

Yeah will try that, if i was ordering a rubber diaphragm what one would i be ordering for it?

Changing parts wheic dont need changing is just another opportunity to add another fault?

I really cannot understand why DIYers love changing parts which ar in perfect working order.

I have NEVER needed to change one on your model !!!

Tony

Tony i put the old pump back in today and it fired up and started to heat the place - unbelievable! so it seems not only did the corgi guy install a wrong pump head that leaked he also said i needed a new one!

This may now run for a few days then i suspect a flashing green light again and we're back to square one, but when it happens this time i will call somebody that has worked on these boilers before as this now seems a mystery.

Lost count of how many Tap Water (=DHW) diaphragms I've changed on this model. NB if the DHW diaphragm's split the CH would still work, but turning the tap on wouldn't get the pin to push fully out at the left end of the diverter valve.
The pin which goes upwards to push a switch is the one operated by the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back