Halstead Finest Gold combi boiler(what a pig! please help!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am unfortunate enough to have a home with one of these ba*t**ds installed causing me no end of grief. I wonderd if anyone with experience in this area could advise me on the best course of action:

Background: Acquired the property with the boiler already installed - it was installed in 2002. No warranty left on boiler. hardly ever stayed at the house due to work commitmeents until the last 12 months. Since then and actually requiring the boiler to do its job have had no end of problems.

Symptoms: boiler keeps going to "safety lockout" - it takes varying amounts of time to lockout but of recent it does this every 3 mins. I then have to wait for 5 mins and turn it back on for the same process to repeat.

Steps comlpeted so far: Halstead won't extend warranty / don't wanna know. All they will say to my local engineer are the words "fan" and "pressure switch" both of which have been replaced individually with no impact and at the same time with no impact! My local engineer who does not actually install Halstead combi's says that he has only seen a couple of Halstead Golds with problems and they are usually down to fan or switch as advised by Halstead. He says that he is now not sure what to do other than to rebuild the boiler by scratch and see what is going wrong.

The boiler goes to safety lockout when I am running hot water or heating in isolation or using a comination of both - i.e. in all operating circumstances!

I personally would like to drop kick this boiler onto the roof of the Halstead MD's pimp mobile but I have (potentially - haven't got the bill yet!) expended a fair bit of a cash on a new fan and pressure switch to date.

To cap it all off I froze my b***s off at home over the weekend - nice :mad:

All advice most welcome!

Sponsored Links
In my view the engineer should not have charged you for parts which did not fix the problem.

Without seeing the boiler i dont know whats wrong but the PCB can cause that problem.

Tony Glazier

thanks Agile - my engineer came out yesterday afternoon and put all the old parts back and completly dismantled the boiler, checked absolutely everything and put it back together - it worked for a few hours then same problem - "safety lockout" has occurred. my engineer said he will not be charging for the parts which is fair in my opinion - he is a good fella.

now on phone to Halstead technical line myself - been on queue for 30mins!!! what a fricken joke outfit

That makes me even more suspicious that it may be the PCB!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back