Halstead Platinum Water Pressure Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what this switch looks like?
Basically my bro's boiler's does a system check when its switched on and throws up a 'water pressure switch inoperative' fault.
According to the manual I should:
- check the water pressure is above 0.5 Bar - which it is.
- check C/H pump - I'll take the silver centre cap off and check the pump spins up when the boiler's switched on (not done that yet)
- check expansion vessel - I'll check the pressure is above 1 Bar and that no water comes out from the valve when depressed (not done that yet but will follow guide on here)
- check switch. Is this the microswitch that is activated by the C/H flow valve?
I wondered if the valve diaphragm could have a hole in it? The actuating pin from the valve makes no attempt to move when the boiler's switched on but also offers no resistance when moved with a small pair of pliers, leading me to believe the diaphragm may actually be ok.
I'm probably going to go over tomorrow for another look at the boiler - have I missed anything or does anyone know of any common faults with these boilers?
Cheers,
Larry.

Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone comes across this thread; it turned out to be the pump capacitor in the end. I purchased a replacement motor capacitor from Maplin for £3.50p and we're up & running again (for the time being!). I was a little annoyed with myself as the pump was the last thing I looked at as I was told they rarely fail. Furthered my knowledge about combi boilers in the process though! Tested motor by removing it from boiler and and connecting it to a wall socket with a plug. The motor wouldn't turn without a little help from my foot - replaced capacitor & it started up straight away.
Many thanks to those who contributed to the FAQ and boiler wiki - most helpful.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back