hammer arrestor fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year!

Ive searched here for info on pipe hammer

it seems most likely caused by [very inaccessible] pipes not being properly secured

I'd like to try fitting an arrestor. [the hammer stops if any tap is v. slightly open]

the plumbing has 2 drain valves [and stopcocks], above and below the water meter. the top one is pictured.[twice]

121000_120375_18313_83207114_thumb.jpg

121000_120375_18312_44792857_thumb.jpg

do I need 2 drain valves?

is there anyone way of easily using one of these drain valve fittings-- by replacing the screw in valve part[?]-- to screw in the arrestor? [the arrestor is 1/2"bsp.]

thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
You could probably do it your way but access looks tight - I think I'd be looking to put a tee in the line somewhere, and fix the arrestor to that.
John :)

thanks for the reply

its not that tight-- the photo is a bit misleading

does that drain fitting have 1/2" bsp threads? can I just unscrew the stop end and put the arrestor in there?

thanks much

I wouldn't touch the drain down cock unless you've got a spare rubber washer handy.....
Are you talking about the stop end on the right hand side? Sorry but I don't recognise the fitting.

Sponsored Links
Just cut another Tee a little bit above the solder ring Tee and then the whole installation is covered

I would find that the easiest way possible

thanks for the replies

as for the threads-- are the only options 1/2, 3/4 1" bsp?

also, any experience with these mini arrestors ?

85345.jpg

thanks

Before you go into major work, check the stop taps.

I have found on several occasions, that water hammer was caused by the washer in the stop tap disintergrating and disappearing. This then allowed the washer jumper/carrier to hammer as the water rushed past it. You appear to have 2 taps, so twice the chance.

Is your hammer a rapid hammering, like a machine gun? This may just poss. be the reason.

thanks all, for the replies.

sorry for my slow response-- been shoveling snow...

the hammer is just one loud thump. I've had my hand/ear on the stop cocks when it hammers and it doesnt seem/feel to be coming from there. seems to be from under the bathroom floor.

can you replace the stop cock washers? are they a standard size?

as for toolstations 93058 arrestor-- do you remember if it needs/is supplied with a washer?

thanks again!

No, it doesn't come with a washer, you would use ptfe tape with some sealing compound to get a good joint.
I guess it could be screwed into a tap connector though, using a washer.
I put mine into a female compression coupler, 77614.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back