Hand sprayer proximity to electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Tuppence wants her new sink installed under the window with one of those taps with a separate sprayer (not the pull-out nozzle type but a separate hose + hand sprayer which can only be operated by aiming it and then depressing a push button on the back of the handle).

There are a couple of FCUs 300mm+ from the back right corner of the sink that I'd prefer not to move. When not in use, the sprayer will be housed by the corner of the sink nearest these FCUs and that's where the pull-out hose will exit.

What do the regulations have to say about this kind of situation? The sprayer will naturally be used pointing left towards the sink, i.e. away from the FCUs. Is the LABC inspector likely to baulk at this setup? If so, what's the best alternative? Weatherproof covers are out of the question and the only alternative above-counter FCU location is the other side of the sink (i.e. in the direction of spray) about 650mm from the corner.

Sponsored Links
In this sort of situation you have to look at the risk then evaluate if the siting of the FCUs are suitable for their environment.
That close to a movable nozzle with kids about might pose risk, but then again so will kids n kitchen taps (come on - who has put their finger over the tap to see if they can hold back the water pressure and ended up wet!)
What are the FCUs for? Do they need to be there or can they be mounted higher up?

Do they need to be there or can they be mounted higher up?
The FCUs are for a washing machine and tumble dryer. They could only be slightly higher on account of cupboards above but anyway wouldn't be acceptable there because every other counter-top accessory is at the same height as they are now.

I think it's a metre, but wait for a grown up.
Is that a metre away from the sink or where the sprayer hose exits the worktop and would this be best practice or a hard and fast regulation?

Sponsored Links
There's no specific distance, so the BCO won't be able to force you to move it. As long as it's not above the sink then you are ok. 300mm is normally the minimum distance to observe, but this is a recommendation not a rule.

However, you still need to consider the risks and fit suitable equipment. Weatherproof FCUs are available and are normally used for switching appliances close to the sink (such as waste disposals etc, although these normally use air switches) but you say you don't want these.

If you think the FCUs are likely to get wet, then you will have to move them, or move the spray handle somewhere else.

24v transformer to the switch and 24v contactor elsewhere to do the switching..

ie SELV switch near to the sink?

1) You can get white Masterseal ones.

2) You can get a flush mounting kit so that they don't protrude anywhere near as much as normal.

Hmm, thanks b-a-s. Not exactly pretty but at least it's not grey and the flush frame makes it a bit more presentable. But it's not what the missus expects to see next to her posh new sink in her posh new kitchen! Personally, I think it unlikely there will be a problem in practice for the reasons I explained earlier. The ring is RCD protected if that makes a difference.

What I can do is move the sprayer slightly further away from the FCUs, putting a distance of 400mm between the two and I suppose that if that gets failed then I can always change the FCUs for the waterproof ones suggested without ripping the place apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back