How to Adapt Cast Iron Downpipe to Fit a Water Butt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put water butts under my cast iron downpipes.

Downpipes are 100x75mm, and the nearest joint above water butt is about 8' from ground.

Water butts are 1400mm High x 555mm Deep x 650mm wide (465 Litres). I'd like to stand them on some blocks to raise them up a bit.

I was thinking to place the Butt just to the side of the existing downpipe, disconnect it at the joint above, and fit a side-offset projection (if I can afford them - they cost more than the water butt itself :( )

Rect_Side_Offset.jpg

to aim into the water butt. Then fit an overflow from butt back to the original drain.

I was wondering if I should replace the vertical section in winter? (i.e. drain & bypass the water butt to prevent damage from freezing). Or I could just open the tap and put some hose to the drain (slow running, but should the butt fill the overflow will still work).

If no need to refit the original pipe in winter then it would probably be better if I cut the lower section of cast iron to a more suitable point and fit the side-offset there, just above the water butt?

Can I just take that section into the garage, secure it with vice / clamps, and use Mr Angle Grinder to cut it? or is cast iron more brittle to work with than that?

I would like to fit some sort of filter. I thought about something like this:

guttermate-exploded-drawing.jpg

but it is the wrong size for my downpipe, perhaps an alternative to the side-offset would be to fit converter to round

Square_Round_Connector.jpg

and then the filter (and a round downpipe to the drain), but I am sceptical that the "hose" will collect enough of the flow - I presume that 100x75mm downpipes were used because the roof is relatively large? Each downpipe is collecting from about 80 sq.m. of roof (allowing for "reasonably" heaviest rainfall of 20 mm per hour, on 80 sq.m. I make that about 0.5L per second)

Alternative is that I put Granny's Tights over the outlet and empty them out once in a while?

Sponsored Links
Is it vital to retain the cast iron? Cheaper solution, (although maybe not as aesthetically pleasing), may be to cut the cast at a suitable point and fit a plastic hopper. From the hopper you can run the new (proposed) setup in plastic, incorporating a diverter to the water butt if you so wish.

Main issue with a filter is access when it blocks up, you dont really want be trying to dismantle whatever it is you have when the heavens are well and truly open and rainwater is spraying out of joints and running down your wall... :cry:

Screwfix do a range of Cast iron effect rainwater goods if the look is important. http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/cast-iron-effect-guttering/cat831632 More expensive than standard stuff, but seems to look the part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back