Handle flush ballcock loo running/ flushing itself Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0131.PNG
Hi,
To cut a long boring story short - I had a leaking loo, plumber no1 £200 later said leak fixed & he'd fitted a new float(?) as well. Leak not fixed couldn't get hold of him.Plumber no2 fixed leak but toilet started flushing itself repeatedly he came back fiddled with it seemed to stop. It has started running again & goes on a mad frenzy of flushing itself repeatedly. I've opened the access panel & the ballcock & arm thingy seems to be getting stuck. I have resorted to a bent coat hanger because the ambience & sound of niagra falls in my bathroom is driving me mad.
Can't afford plumber no3 at moment so any help much appreciated. I've posted a pic the blue topped thing was fitted by plumber no1( ? Float) . It's a handle flush loo.
In the pic A is where the water comes out, B is new ? Float whatever that is, C obviously arm that seems to stick.
The loo was originally fitted 16 years ago & until plumbers started fiddling with it never had this problem. Only the original leak from main pipe from loo to cistern.
Please help it must be something simple? ( I live in hope).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A is a float valve a.k.a Ballvalve. B is a (new) syphon- you push the flush handle down and that starts the flush. C is the arm of the float valve- it may well stick on it's way up to stop the flow- hence the water running continuosly. The ( leaking pipe from loo to cistern) is a flush pipe and for you got a new one and the syphon it connects to. You probably need a new A+C . There looks to be limited access to get through the top of the (tiled) unit to replace A+C. A bent coathanger is a good idea - it's fixed many a French car;) Where in The Smoke are you ?

Hi & thanks apologies for not replying sooner - I'm in Chiswick in W4. I thought I would need those bits - and thought about trying myself - but have chickened out. But at least I know now what needs done so plumber no 3 can bring the bits & not take the proverbial - no disrespect but I've had a bad time with tradesmen lately, including 2 gas men who quoted £8000+ for a new boiler last year - they thought I was born yesterday , they must need specs I don't look like I was born yesterday ( sadly) my ex a plumber/gas engineer fitted new boiler for £700. Before you ask I'm off his xmas list so no hope there! But thanks again.

A (looks like a new float valve but not a new float) - needs twisted clockwise about 10 deg to allow the float arm to miss the syphon then adjust the fill so it doesn't reach the overflow level of the syphon (the self flushing you are seeing is the internal overflow as it's running into the toilet)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back