Hanging a corner sink on cavity walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took an old small corner basin out of the downstairs loo and bought a new one.
New mixer tap, new flexi hoses, new waste system etc.
Held new basin up to position, marked off slotted holes, remove basin from area and drill correct sized holes, (14mm rawplug to take 10mm threaded studs). But when drilling the holes I discovered the adjacent walls were stud walls. The mounting holes for the sink are 140mm along each side from the corner. The length of the straight sides are 400mm meaning the fixing points are closer to the back than the front. My only alternative seems to be put the old sink back on because it's lighter and the fixing brackets are closer to the front edge and therefore give it more support if anyone leans on it.
Do any of you guys know of a solution so I can fit the new sink. It's rented property so ripping down walls and fitting noggins is out of the question. Are there any different fixings I could use that would grip inside the cavity and keep the basin secure? I considered toggle bolts but can't find any 10mm ones.

Sponsored Links
Several options, though that's the type of job where you would really need to be there to see the design on the basin and the wall (where the studs are) and what would suit.

Could use butterfly toggles/fixing, small batons along straight sides, open up wall and fix noggins for the fixings or panel it as @jeff the gasman mentions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Have now got it sorted by using something called gripfit sockets.
Basically they are a circular fixture with wings on the back. Need to drill a 25mm hole and tap the fitting into the hole. You then use a screwdriver to push and tuen the centre disc which causes 2 plates on the back to open out. When you insert your machine screw it draws the centre disc back out causing the wings to clamp against the interior of the cavity. Guy in the shop said they will hold a big TV on the wall, (which I can believe), however, because a sink projects outwards we needed some extra support. This was achieved by fitting a small sturdy batten under the sink on both wall sides. Thankfully they fitted up under a lip so are barely noticeable. Holding the sink secure and stopping it from tilting forward if someone leans on the front.
1 wife now very happy with her refurbished loo. LOL

You'll be talking about GRIPIT fixings?

They are good - I have a 6ft wide mirror on my wall using the red ones and it's still there 3 years later. Not so sure about them if something was leaning on but if you have the batons along the straight sides too then that should support it well enough, no one should be really leaning on it anyway TBH.

My FIL is disabled and has a tendency to grab the sink when he needs to stand up after going the toilet. LOL
Because of the pipework arrangement it was impossible to fit a pedestal basin to help overcome this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back