Hanging Guitars on plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was planning to hang two guitars off a wall that's plasterboard, and was recommended to use 'Hafele Plastplu Metal Rawlplug Self-Drill Plasterboard' as a way of hanging affixing the guitar hanger to the wall.

All looked to make sense and sounded straightforward, but it was not to be - the Rawlplugs go in, and then spin around and around without really gaining any purchase - so when I attempted to add the guitar hanger it simply pulled the plug out of the wall when any weight was put on it.

Is there another type that I should use? Is hanging things on plasterboard just a bad idea? Any possible fixes?

Thanks,
TFT

Sponsored Links
Depends whats behind the plasterboard, the plugs mentioned only work with hollow plasterboard, anything solid behind and they just tear a hole.Do you have dot and dab walls? onto what blocks or brick?

Then you need to drill and plug , unless it's thermalite block in which case you can just screw straight into it with a long coarse thread screw.(100mm minimum) will hold light weight like guitar.

Sponsored Links
That sounds doable - given that there is the plasterboard and a gap before the block, is there a particular trick to getting the plug in? Or am I over-thinking things after the initial error?

Normally, how would you do this if you hadn't already made holes in the wall? Drill a larger hole so that you could then drill a smaller hole and plug in the block?

Last edited:
Cheers - final query (of the day) - I'm not sure that the provided screws/rawlplugs are the best, is there a standard length of screw/plug that you'd recommend?

Having messed up once, I'd like my next attempt to be better informed!

What sort of guitar - there's quite a weight difference between an acoustic and a Les Paul (10lbs+ for original non weight relieved models)?

Looking at the pic of those plugs, I'm surprised the lateral barbs point towards the screw entry rather than away from it. I would expect the purpose of the barbs to be to make plug entry into the hole easier than withdrawal, yet it seems to me the reverse would happen. Still, I guess the makers know best :) .

Sorry for slow reply - laid low by illness last week.

Those plugs looked good, but the Q & A section suggests that "Dot and dab does not usually leave enough gap for the UX to knot up properly and you may not get enough of it in to the brickwork to be effective" - however, if you've practical experience of using them on dot and dab I'm happy to take your word for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back