Hanging heavy mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is 25 years old and it is to be fit on breast on party wall between 2 semis. I do not know whether it is brick or block as it is not an external wall. As it has been newly papered I won't know till I start drilling.
Would it make any difference if I intend to use expanding bolts.
The mirror has D rings on the edges to accomodate nylon cord. Is that the favoured way or is there a bettere way. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would use wire instead of nylon as nylon will stretch under stress.
I would drill hole using small bit size first to determine what you have, if its brick/block plastic plugs can be used, if plasterboard I prefer the use of cavity/hollow wall anchors.
If space is restrictive behind board then spring toggle type fixing will be best.

to get a really good hold with a plasplug, clean out the hole you have drilled, and squirt a no-more-nails type right into the back of the hole, so that when you push the plasplug in there will be no air pocket. Push in the plug and smooth off any excess. Drive in the screw the next day.

the plug will not turn or become loose.

if you want to hang a mirror, a vine eye or heavy hook will be more convenient for the wire. Be sure to use a long one where the shank and plug are at least 35mm into the brick. Plaster has no strength for such a heavy object. It does not matter if the plug is tapped below the surface of the plaster a bit and this will prevent cracking

Sponsored Links
You can measure the position of D rings and hang directly on them, avoid mirror swinging and marking walls.A screw in a wall plug will suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back