hanging joists in loft over windows

M

marsaday

I am reading the Haynes loft conversion manual and it has a diagram of some joists in place in the loft called "trimming around a weak window lintel".

i will be doing something similar in my loft and will be hanging 9x3 c24 timber spanning 5.18m at 400 centres. The joists will be hung over our 2 bedroom windows which are each 1m wide.

Will i need to also add extra joist in this area to help deflect the loads away from the windows. i have no idea if they are weak or not. i think they are pretty strong. Could anyone advise what is likley to be the case, or what info i need to check out.

i enclose a photo i have uploaded already of our kitchen window which shows the same lintel we have above the 2 x bedroom windows.

View media item 9476

Sponsored Links
The image is showing the external brickwork arch and is not showing the internal lintel.

Anyhoo, 1m is not a significant span, but if the upstairs lintels happen to be small section timber fellas then it may be prudent to replace these lintels with a sturdier modern fella i.e 140mm deep concrete or a box catnic.

the internal lintel is wooden, not sure how big though.

i certainly dont want to be messing about with these lintels though.

i could span the joist the other way so i run from party wall on to the spine wall dividing our house. this is a solid brick wall.

The only thing is this wall has a section taken out to make the kitchen/diner area. it was done in steel and is 1.65m wide. the wall length is 5.18 in total.

should i get an engineer in to have a look. i am not paying for any calcs becasue i know you engineers know straight away what is feasible or not. i mean the BCO is very relaxed about the loadings so i dont really see too much of a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back