Hanging lining paper on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hanging lining paper with the intention of painting it. I have hung it horizonally and vertically depending on how easy it is. For example, there is a picture rail running around the room and hanging the paper horizontally gives a very neat edge to this which doesn't need cutting. Of course it needs trimming at the skirting but this is less noticeable as furniture will help disguise any slight mistakes.
As the wall on either side of the window is narrower than the paper, I've hung it vertically here. I'm now on the chimney breast and was wondering how far I should wrap the paper around the external corners. In the past I've kept this down to about three inches but that was with patterened paper. Does the same rule apply for lining paper?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your papering into a corner you only need to come onto the other wall about half an inch. As the paper dries it goes tight to the surface its on and it will show the overlap underneath.

Thanks. The internal corners don't pose a problem. I was wondering about the external corners on the chimney breast. How far do I wrap-around those before I hang next piece?

Sponsored Links
With lining paper if you lap it around a few inches then tear it from top to bottom as neat as you can, but slowly. This then makes the paper half its thickness. Take this around a couple of inches and then do the same the other way on the overlap. Ive had good result doing it this way. When its all painted up you cant see anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back