Hard Disk Video Camera Dropped In Sea

Sponsored Links
The salt water will have probably caused short circuits which could have fried the main board.
There is a possibility the hard drive will still work however it will entirely depend on how much water got in and what state it is in.
You could take it to pieces and take the drive out however unless it is a SATA connection which you could hook up to a PC via a SATA to USB cable, you may be screwed as it is often hooked up with a flat cable straight into the drive which would make things more difficult.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
The salt water will have probably caused short circuits which could have fried the main board.
There is a possibility the hard drive will still work however it will entirely depend on how much water got in and what state it is in.
You could take it to pieces and take the drive out however unless it is a SATA connection which you could hook up to a PC via a SATA to USB cable, you may be screwed as it is often hooked up with a flat cable straight into the drive which would make things more difficult.
Thanks. I'll give it a week to dry out in the airing cupboard then see if a miracle occurs when I power. Most likely not.
Then I'll try as you say.

Sony Handycam DCR-SR70E
Lovely little cameras at the time, I used one extensively at work.
Apparently they use drives with a ZIF (zero insertion force) connector:

ZIF to SATA, or USB adapters are available.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Lovely little cameras at the time, I used one extensively at work.
Apparently they use drives with a ZIF (zero insertion force) connector:

ZIF to SATA, or USB adapters are available.
Excellent, thank you.
Was a great little camcorder but tend to use the video feature on my DSLR these days as high definition

I used to often clean pcb's by simply rinsing them in a good flow of hot water. I would then blow the worst of the moisture out, with an air line. I would then follow that with an hair dryer, or in winter, leaving them on a hot radiator for a few hours. The quicker they were washed and dried, it seemed the better.

Its already been soaked in salt water several days ago, I would suggest any damage has already been done. As a sailor (there is a clue in my user name) anything that gets dropped into salt water needs rinsing in fresh. By all means take it to someone who can repair or try to recover the data but I am offering genuine diy advice.

Take it or leave it, no skin off my nose :mrgreen:

At mate of mine used to do IT forensics for the Met. He once told me that if you drop a hard drive in a bucket of salty water it will leave the data un-retrievable. Not even the US military would be able to ghost the image.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local