Hard layer ontop of floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, this is my first post, just want to start by saying how great this site is!!

I love DIY and this place seems to have all the answer ive ever needed!!

So here goes....

Ive found that upstairs under the carpet there is a layer about an inch thick of concrete type material (reddish colour) ontop of the floorboards.

What the hell is this?? Ive never seen this before!

I want to take it back to the floorboards in the bathroom and re tile.

1. Does anyone know what this stuff is?
2. Can anyone think of a reason to why i cant get rid of this in the bathroom?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Maybe it was laid to level the floor in prep for tiling? How do you know there's floorboards underneath? any sign of ply/chipboard?

Thanks for the reply here are some more facts that i found out today....

- No there is no ply wood under the hard layer
- There are floorboards but instead of running over the joists the floorboards are little stubby bits of wood that sit in between the joists, which makes the floor very uneven
- The concrete stuff is in the landing under the carpet too
- In the bathroom (no floor tiles) when i lifted the laminate flooring there is just floorboards and no concrete layer

so this raises more questions...

1) Is it common to lay a layer of concrete over floorboards to make them level?

2) if i remove it to run some pipes would you reccomend laying another concrete layer to level up?

3) Why isnt there any of this stuff in the bathroom, maybe the previous owner hacked off the concrete layer?

what do you think? hellllllllp!

Sponsored Links
Okay so you can see the red layer of concrete, ive already started to take it up, im guessing it was there to level out the floor. Is it that self leveling compond i keep hearing about?

Can you see my floorboards in pic 2? how weird? Its quite uneven, so im planning to level it out with ply wood (having read other posts)

Any advice?

Wierd, looks like the floorboards have been dropped between the joists to lower the floor, then the muck put on top to bring it all up again. Best bet to rip it all out, floorboards n all. Add plenty of noggins, then over board ON TOP of the joists this time with 25mm ply for a really really strong floor.

Ps. Get a 'proper' hammer to go with that bolster.

Thanks for the advice, thats sounds like a plan! lol yes i do have a big hammer, you can just about see it next to the bolster :)

About the ply, would you try to cut one big piece or cut strips going across the joists?

Thanks mate :D

Fewer big bits will be easier and quicker than lots of little bits. Lay them out loose first of all and mark out where to put extra noggins, having a joist or noggin under all joins will support the ply and keep it all flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back