Hard radiator sludge

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I removed a sludged radiator and tried to hose the sludge out. It's fairly stubborn. I tried hitting the side with a hammer whilse hosing and a few other methods of agititing. No success.
I was going to try using a power hose to shift the sludge. I'm not sure if this will work as it's a double radiator and the water jet will hit a T junction at the radiator input.
Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
it's certainly worth hosing out as much as you can, but after that, you need to use a cleaning chemical treatment, and fit a system filter to trap what it loosens.

If you use Sentinel X400, it is non-aggressive and you can leave it circulating for a month or so before draining out and rinsing. It will loosen an amazing amount. Even afterwards, there will be loosened particles circulating in the water, and a good system filter will trap them. Keep cleaning it out and you will notice the amount it traps reduces over time as the system gets cleaner.

In a hard-water area there may also be limescale which is very hard. I've used aggressive acid cleaners, but I think X200 is more suitable for DIY use. You tip it in and leave it circulating permanently. Your system filter will trap circulating particles (it is important not to let them accumulate into a new blockage, especially in the boiler)

DIY chemical treatments are easy and cheap. They may save you the expense of a powerflush. As long as you avoid aggressive acids they won't make things worse.

I am a householder not a pro.

I've heard mixed opinions on Sentinel x400. No harm in trying it.
Can you recommend a filter?

Sponsored Links
from ten plumbers you will get 11 opinions.

If you have a black magnetite problem, the Magnaclean is dramatically fast at catching it, once it has been loosened by a cleansing chemical or physical action. Early models tended to leak but it is said the newer ones are improved. I only had the old type. I now have a Spiro which 9 out of 10 plumbers will tell you is rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back