Hard wired mains timer switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm after a bit of advice. In my boys bedroom there is a plug socket behind one of the beds. I want to plug in a 4 or 6 way extension and attach it to the wall where I can access the plugs. What I don't want is to have however many powered things plugged in and potentially using power when they're asleep. Fear is the motivating factor here, fear of fire during the night. I'm a bit paranoid about electrical fires, all of my sockets are switched and I switch almost every thing off before bed, leaving only the essential or hidden sockets switched on. I need to have this extension automatically switched on in the morning and off in the evening, I've considered using a pass through timer but there's not enough room for it and a plug.
Would it be sensible to wire a plug to the input one of these, "Timeguard NTT07 7 Day Slimline Electronic General Purpose Timeswitch", plug it into the socket and wire the extension into the output? I would envisage fixing this to the wall above the extension.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does that Timeguard timeswitch have the facilities to connect a flex and plug? In particular, strain relief for the flex?
How old is your son?
If you're paranoid about electrical fires, I'm not sure that extension leads are a good thing!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Iggifer, unfortunately it's a single socket, also we've just given them new cabin beds, there's a bed on top with a desk, drawers and a wardrobe underneath and the weigh an absolute ton! Very difficult to move enough to change the socket.

Thanks PrenticeBoyo, a timed extension would be great, a one meter lead would be enough so it's not looping around itself, I could live with power only going to the timer. I've only seen ones with one timed socket though, the others are always on, do you know of any with all sockets timed?

Thanks stillp, the timeswitch does have and entry and exit one the bottom of the unit so I assume it has strain relief, it seems to have been made for a cable entry and exit. The only reason I'm not sure about it is most of them seem to be for water heaters and towel rails. I think it's rated at 16amps also but there must be a fuse inside which I could change for 13 if necessary.

I have 2 boys nearly 7 and nearly 9.

I agree about extension leads, that's why I want it off when they're in bed, especially as one of them will be directly above it. There's only 2 single sockets in the room. I only need power to LED lamps at the moment but I'm sure there'll be TV's laptops and Playstation's soon enough.

OK, the instructions at http://www.timeguard.com/media/994/NTT06_NTT07_67_058_482_2_TG_Instructs_3.0.pdf do refer to cable clamps. It would still be powered-up all the time though, so I'm not sure it would help your paranoia.
How is your socket circuit protected? If you had all your non-essential socket-outlets on one circuit, you could just switch off the MCB for that circuit, or even install a timer in your consumer unit to do that for you.

Thanks for the link to the instructions stillp, I've seen those consumer unit timers, pretty cool but we do need some sockets on during the night - washing machine/dish washer downstairs and alarm clocks/phone chargers upstairs in our bedroom.

As nobody has screamed "NOOOO DON'T DO IT!!", I think this is my best option. My paranoia can handle the timer being powered permanently, I don't suppose it's using that much juice.

Just to be sure though, is it OK to connect the input via a normal earthed flex and plug into a standard socket and the output to a normal 4/6 way extension lead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back