Hardibacker 500 for wetroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dilemma. I'm about to apply Hardibacker 500 to my block walls in my new ground floor wetroom. One wall is a stud partiton (where the shower will be) and all other walls are thermal block.

From what I have read I have two options here:

1) Apply full coating of tile adhesive to the board with the addition of screws fixings every 400mm into the block, with plugs.

2) Make up a frame and fix straight to the wood with roof nails or appropriate self driving screws.

Does anyone know which is the preferred method here or are they both equally suitable? If fixing direct to block with screws, is tile adhesive neccessary?

I'm also in two minds about tanking the area as this may reduce the tile application to the the board itself. I would fill in gaps with adhesive and use the appropriate tape to seal the gaps. My floor will be levelled with a concrete screed using the IMPEY aqua grade but im guessing my corners would need to be paid particular attention to in regards to sealing?

Would I need something like the Dura membrane for the floor?

Any advise much appreciated on this before I plough ahead..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a dilemma. I'm about to apply Hardibacker 500 to my block walls in my new ground floor wetroom. One wall is a stud partiton (where the shower will be) and all other walls are thermal block.

From what I have read I have two options here:

1) Apply full coating of tile adhesive to the board with the addition of screws fixings every 400mm into the block, with plugs.

2) Make up a frame and fix straight to the wood with roof nails or appropriate self driving screws.

Does anyone know which is the preferred method here or are they both equally suitable? If fixing direct to block with screws, is tile adhesive neccessary?

I'm also in two minds about tanking the area as this may reduce the tile application to the the board itself. I would fill in gaps with adhesive and use the appropriate tape to seal the gaps. My floor will be levelled with a concrete screed using the IMPEY aqua grade but im guessing my corners would need to be paid particular attention to in regards to sealing?

Would I need something like the Dura membrane for the floor?

Any advise much appreciated on this before I plough ahead..

Thanks
deleted

This being my first posting, does the fact that you have replied deleted mean that I would be unable to find out how he resolved the issue.
Thanks.
Johnclive

Sponsored Links
This being my first posting, does the fact that you have replied deleted mean that I would be unable to find out how he resolved the issue.
Thanks.
Johnclive
no it was my post that i deleted as i answered duchards post and then see that it is an old post then i see that it was brought back to life by you asking him a question, so my post did not have any baring to your question which is why i deleted it, he may come back to you with an answer lets see :)

never seen one come back yet.

Never mind, RichardC (otherwise known as God) will be here to help you.

Hello Clive, Yes I am still here. This place has been a knowledge haven for my last 2 years of DIY skills so it is only right I forward my experiences on to other members.

I ended up screwing a wooden framework made up of batons to my other walls and then screwing the hardibacker to these with stainless screws. I figured out pre-drilling a smal hole through the hardibacker made it much easier to drive the screw in. A countersink of some kind is also advised so that your screws sit flush for the tiles.I also used hammer fixings at each point. The Hardibacker is proper secure.

For the tanking I used the trusted BAL WP1 kit and taped all corners and joints with the fibre tape. Mapei Keraflex adhesive and Mapei grout was great to work with (sticks like concrete as its cement based). I also used the BAL fibre sheet for the floor as it suggests.

Hope this help you and let me know if theres anything else you need to know about preparing your wetroom. Good luck!

Hi Duchard.
Thanks very much for the info, and you are right there is so much help to had on this website and it is worthwhile sharing.

Again thanks will let you know how I get on.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back