Bathroom Tiling on Chipboard, the install of HardiBacker ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

After some advice on the preparation of my 18mm Bathroom chipboard floor for Tiling.

My intention was/is to overboard the existing chipboard with some 6mm Hardibacker and then tile onto that (large 600mm tiles). Looking at how to install the hardibacker it seems the instructions are:

1. Apply "thinset" which I assume is just normal floor tile adhesive?
2. Lay the hardibacker on top of the thinset
3. screw down
4. Apply "tape" in-between board edges (1/8 inch gap)

When I brought them from topps I was told just to screw them down to the chipboard floor, can anyone confirm If I do need to apply a thinset between floor and hardibacker and if having the gaps and taping them is required?

Happy to do the work if needed I just want to double check....

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi There,

After some advice on the preparation of my 18mm Bathroom chipboard floor for Tiling.

My intention was/is to overboard the existing chipboard with some 6mm Hardibacker and then tile onto that (large 600mm tiles). Looking at how to install the hardibacker it seems the instructions are:

1. Apply "thinset" which I assume is just normal floor tile adhesive?
2. Lay the hardibacker on top of the thinset
3. screw down
4. Apply "tape" in-between board edges (1/8 inch gap)

When I brought them from topps I was told just to screw them down to the chipboard floor, can anyone confirm If I do need to apply a thinset between floor and hardibacker and if having the gaps and taping them is required?

Happy to do the work if needed I just want to double check....

Thanks

Andy

i assume when you say chipboard you actually mean weyrock, yes you do need thinset, yes tape the edges, Make sure your floor is solid ( no flexing )before laying thinset and then secure the hardibacker with the screws. Personally i would get rid of the weyrock and use 19mm wbp ply and tile directly onto that

Hi,

Sorry yes WeyRock tongue and groove style chipboard.

Appreciate the preferred is to remove the chipboard and replace with ply but I dont want to disturb the entire bathroom to do that (I would need to cut the boards around the walls as they go underneath the interior walls etc. So prefer the easier option of overboarding ....

Thanks for the information on installing the Hardibacker, thinset it is ...

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
I used 6mm Nomoreply. You use glue and screws to put it down all supplied by nomoreply (know need to tape). I endedup using plasterboard screws as they seemed to get a better bite in the chipboard. 2 years on and it is still fine.

Just wondering why it isn't recommended to tile onto chipboard flooring (but WBP ply is OK)?

I've just had a quote from a builder who was intending to lay a new moisture resistant chipboard bathroom floor, before laying dry / electric UFH, followed by tiling?

Because neither tiles or groute are water proof and the chipboard well see moisture over time. Still no problems with nomoreply 7 years on. But I did fit noggins at every joint. Very solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back