Tiles on chipboard and hardibacker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I brought some 6mm hardibacker from topps tiles as a better base for my chipboard floor
The problem is I can't find any nails at all for the chipboard so don't know where to screw int joists to strengthen the boards.
They are fairly stable so was going to add a layer of adhesive then screw the hardieboard onto that

Do you think it will be ok to then tile onto that or am I going to have problems with cracked tiles later on.

The floor area is literally only 2m2 so not much movement but after reading comments on the net I'm a bit worried

Sponsored Links
If no nails/screws visible....sounds like it may be a block and beam floor

Is it ground floor...?

Just do as you have stated...I.e..adhesive/hardie/screws..tile away...

Yeah ground floor, there's a very tiny amount of movement but I'm going to add the hardibacker and hope it gives a better base

Also, I really want some porcelian tiles that I have seen but worried they are going to be hard to cut. I do have a wet cutter and gonna buy a new wheel for it. I don't have that many cuts to do so hopefully it will be ok.

Stagger the h/boards...brick effect...

Porkies are very good tiles....any good dry cutter will cut them with ease...just run them slowly thro your wet cutter,you don't want to be chipping the edges

Do you have skirting boards to go back down ontop off tiles,or you using silicone.

Sponsored Links
I do have the skirting boards but was thinking having a small border out of porcelian so can do either way really. Obviously the skirting will cover the cut edges I suppose.

The dry cutter I have is a plasplugs protiler, not the greatest so not sure I wil be able to cut the with that, will have to use my wet cutter and try and cover the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back